Anyway, I was reading this story at Wattpad. It was really interesting, actually, with the whole arranged-marriage-and-we-don't-get-along type of thing. The girl was portrayed as someone who's incredibly stupid
But I'm not really here to rant about the guy so we can just scratch him out.
Going back.
Her stupidity was tolerable, honestly speaking. It kinda made the whole thing amusing. Then here comes the point where she's always crying and kept on relying on others.
At first I was like, "It's okay. I'm only on chapter 10. She'll change, no big deal."
At Chapter 20: "Why are you like that? Stop itttt."
At Chapter 30: " SERIOUSLY."
And that is the point where I stopped reading. Enough is enough. I can't take it anymore/ She cries for every little thing. When she gets a teeny-weeny cut, when someone confessed to her, when someone called her names. Oh, sure, cry. Great solution.
Not only that it's as if she expects someone (her bestfriend, her dad, her husband) to make decisions for her. Dude buy a backbone. It's pretty much free actually. And maybe use your brain too, it's not only there for display.
Then here comes the two guys in her so-called complicated life. When they saw her they all be like, "It's okay. Don't cry. I promise I will protect you." Wtf.
We're not running a pity parade here, dammit.
As if that's not enough. When she gets herself in a pretty deep shit, she leaves everything to the guys to fix her mess and they will actually do everything to help her. Boys to the rescue. Knight in shining armor. Woohoo.
So stupid.
Now, all these things are personal opinion and I don't know whether you share my sentiments or not. Nor do I care. But this whole Damsel in Distress business is getting old and no longer amusing.
It came to a point that it's now only annoying. And very much offending.
This whole idea (including the knight in shining armor thing) is not applicable anymore in our current setting. In the middle ages, yes maybe, but dude, we're living in the 21st century for crying out loud.
But the whole thing STILL hasn't changed.
Girls are still viewed as some weak creatures who need someone to rely on or else they will get lost in the paths of life. Or worse, cry until their eyes bleed. Oh, please. Spare me.
Worst case scenario, this whole thing was engraved in our minds by stories like described above. And they're aaallll written by girls no less. All their fantasies written in paper because that's how they want themselves to be treated by guys. Who doesn't exist. So obviously, they invented it.
Way to go, Female Pride.
It's really irritating when girls are pictured like that. Always sitting in the corner waiting for their hero. When they obviously could have done something about. And said hero is usually most of the time guys.
Don't get me wrong.
I have nothing against boys though they're downright overrated. It's not their fault that society thinks they're dominant. Soooo, whatever.
It's just sometimes so degrading. Especially when you know for a fact that it's not true. All I want is for this mindset to change. That's all.

No comments:
Post a Comment